It is said that the Cliffs of Moher are one of the biggest tourist attractions of Ireland. Luckily it wasn’t very crowded while I visited them with two Irish friends in late January.

Located about 3 hours from Dublin you should definitely take some time when going there. I’d recommend that you stop on the way at some cities like Limerick or Galway and include the cliffs in a road trip through Ireland.

The cliffs stretch for nearly 8 kilometers and are more than 200 meters high. You don’t want to fall down there.

Many signs warn from crossing the secure areas but many people still walk over the security signs and risk a quick glance over the cliff. This is not recommended as winds can be pretty strong around the cliffs and can blow you over the edge. But this Blog wouldn’t be called Off-The-Path if I wouldn’t take a quick look at the other site!

We arrived at the cliffs on a Sunday afternoon. It was raining the whole weekend already, like usually in Ireland, but we were lucky. Shortly before arriving the sun came out but once there it was already gone again but the rain luckily didn’t return until we left.

We had enough time to wander around and just indulge in the beauty of these huge rock formations that seem to grow out of the water.

Have you already visited the Cliffs of Moher? How was it?

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

An unexpected Journey http://t.co/YjHaqbFQsK #Column - 2 hours ago

• seba

It is Andi! I was very surprised by Ireland. Unfortunately, I only stayed three days so I definitely have to go back!

• Joan Reilly

Hi Seba, the Visitors Centre is a very well designed safe place to visit, but if you want to see them from below, you can also take a Cliffs of Moher Cruise :)

1. Melissa

I was there in May 2009. It was absolutely gorgeous! I was in Ireland for 7 days and the cliffs were a major highlight of my trip! Even though it wasnt raining, it was the coldest part of our trip, but totally worth it. I cant wait to go back!

• seba

Looks like you were also lucky with the weather! I’ve been told that it always rains around this region in Ireland! I have to go back too. Only been in Ireland for 3 days on my last trip!

• Melissa

We had amazing luck with weather. It was sunny the whole time except for the day we were in Dublin…and there it was a misty type thing going on. Plus, in May, all the baby sheep were around…so freaking cute! Im hoping to go again this coming April, over my birthday. Funds are tight though, so Im keeping my fingers crosssed that I can pull it off.

• seba

I hope I get there again when all the sheep are outside… Must be very beautiful! Hope you can make it again in April!

• seba

It was a little windy while we were there… a strong wind and I’m convinced you could actually fall down there!!! I looked it up but couldn’t find an exact number of people that died there!!

• seba

I really hope that I can do this one day!! The last trip to Ireland was very spontaneous visiting some friends before moving to Asia!!! Maybe next year!

2. Dayna

We were able to visit the Cliffs of Moher, but sadly we were carpooling with a ‘checklist’ traveler who only wanted to stay ten minutes before we got on the road to Galway. It was really sad, we plan to return this summer and spend more time there.

• seba

This is such a bummer that you weren’t able to enjoy the cliffs!! Stay tuned I will upload a video of the cliffs soon! I’m editing it at the moment!!!!

• seba

Thank you lisa!! Glad you like the pictures! I will try to post more photo essays in the future!! :)

• seba

Thanks Jeremy!! Nice video you got there!! I’m editing a video right now about the cliffs and will upload it very soon!!

3. Edna

I loved visiting the Cliffs of Moher! I’m headed back to County Galway in a week and I can’t wait to see Ireland again!

• seba

So jealous!! Now weather must be better than in january!! Enjoy your time in Ireland!

4. D.J. - The World of Deej

Gorgeous shots, but makes me nervous just looking at the pics! This has been on my list for a while though..

• seba

Just wait for the video which is going to be posted early next week… I just finished editing it!!!

• seba

Early next week I’ll upload a video of the cliffs. I just finished editing it…

5. Shanna Schultz

We were here last month. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me that there were some stupid people that climbed over the fence and we out leaning over the edge. The ledge didn’t look very stable there, and if she would have fallen, there is nothing that anyone could have done to help her. Go figure-there has to be one in every crowd, right?

Beautiful place, even in the rain.

6. Emily @ Maiden Voyage

Oh wow–so beautiful! I’m going to Ireland for the first time in July and hopefully will make it out to the cliffs. They are what I conjure up in my mind when I think of Ireland. Glad you didn’t fall in :)

7. The World Wanderer

Beautiful pictures! Ireland is my second home and I’ve been so many times, but I still have yet to visit the Cliffs of Moher…obviously, I am missing out!

8. Lauren T. Bates

I love your pictures. I would love to go visit these cliffs. Never heard of them before!

9. Audrey

I remember seeing photos of my friend actually sitting on the cliff with her legs dangling over…horrible!!! I could not, and would not do it!

10. Elaine

beautiful shots….it is a thing of great beauty….i have gone several times and while it used to be a highlight for me, the powers to be have ruined the overall rugged beauty with that horrible eye sore that they have planted under the ground there….

i’m so glad i got to see it in its natural state…

great job capturing the beauty of the cliffs and the tower…keep up the good work….

11. Zubi Travel

Great pics. The cliffs and the surrounding coastal area are worth the trip from Dublin.
    Thumbs up for getting out of the special area designed for tourists to take these pictures,.

12. Rick Lundstrom

Been to that area back in 1998. Missed the cliffs, but I don’t feel too deprived. Don’t like heights.

13. Lisa Bond

Yes! I was at the Cliffs in 2009. Started my Ireland trip in Dublin and took the 3 hr train to Galway. Fantastic memories of Ireland and was lucky enough to have nice weather all week. Thanks for sharing.

14. Kasha

Stunning! I really need to make a plan to visit the cliffs – they look like something out of a fantasy-epic novel :D

15. Natalie

Hi!

I have been there in decembre 2010… but I haven’t seen any water because it was very foggy! ;) shit happens!

But I can recommend a very nice Bed & Breakfast in Doolin (it’s about a half an hour with the Bus from the cliffs).

The breakfast is fresh and very rich (selfmade pancakes with mapleleave sirup, fruits, joghurts, selfmade scones and jam and much more) and the hostmother Meave is very friendly! (As almost all irish people :) )

It is located in front of the rainbow hostel (everybody knows the rainbow hostel there). Enjoy!

best wishes, Natalie

16. Pavan Meshram

The photos look so beautiful Sebastian. Standing on the cliff must literally be feeling like living life off the edge. Ireland is really picturesque. It’s definitely one of the countries I want to be to one day.